School Friends is a great option for individuals who aspire to be mentors, but have limited time to commit to our Community-Based program. It offers a great volunteer opportunity for those who are passionate about positively impacting young lives but may have busy schedules.
Become a School Friends mentor to inspire and empower the next generation!
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Dane County currently has School Friends at the following local schools:
One City Schools
Wright Middle School
After enrolling in our School-Friends Mentoring Program, Bigs and Littles are thoughtfully matched based on interests and preferences (gender, race, age, etc.) Once the Match is approved by Big, Little, and parent/caregiver, they can start meeting!
- Takes place one time per week for one hour during lunch or after school
- Minimum of 1 year commitment
- BBBS provides activities and conversation starters to help Matches get to know each other during their sessions
- Time can be spent reading, playing board games, doing crafts, or catching up on homework
- One-to-one mentoring program for students/scholars of various ages, depending on the site -
- Typically we serve 4th graders at One City Schools, and 7th graders at Wright Middle School
- One City Schools Matches meet during lunch, and Wright Middle School Matches meet after school
- BBBS conducts regular check-in conversations and observations with Bigs and Littles to ensure the relationship is healthy, safe, and thriving. Parents are informed about the potential Big for their child and upon approval, are contacted with regular updates on how the Match is progressing.
Requirements for Bigs
- 18 years or older
- Must live or work in Dane County
- Complete online application, interview, and references
- Pass a background check
- Big must connect with Match Support Specialist as required
Requirements for Littles
- Children entering 4th grade at One City Schools or entering 7th grade at Wright Middle School
- Must live in Dane County
- Parent or caregiver must complete the online application for child
- Committed to meeting with mentor 1 time per week
- Parent and child must connect with Match Support Specialist as required