MentorU provides one-to-one mentoring to high school youth, blending technology with a structured focus on college readiness, workforce development, and career exploration. Our mentors also provide the social-emotional support proven to boost a student's self-confidence and communication skills.
MentorU is committed to helping students:
- Maintain a positive self-concept
- Identify their interests, passions, and strengths
- Celebrate their personal and social identities
- Gain awareness of risky behaviors
- Learn to think critically and communicate effectively
- Develop a growth mindset
- Set healthy boundaries and advocate for themselves
- Grow their problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills
- Plan for their future beyond high school
- Reach their full potential!
REQUIREMENTS FOR BIGS
• 21 years or older
• Must live or work in Dane County
• Complete online application process, interview, and references
• Pass a background check
• Big must connect with Match Support Specialist as required
• One-year commitment
PRIMARY COMPONENTS OF MENTORU
Students attend weekly class sessions led by the MentorU Program Coordinator
to learn the week's curriculum.
Students and mentors meet in person 9 times to work on
honing skills and discussing important topics.
Mentors respond to messages from students with prompts based on
that week's topics via a secure online platform.
Each Match is supported by the MentorU Program Coordinator
to provide coaching, resources, and guidance.
We are excited to have launched our first MentorU cohort in the Fall of 2022 in partnership with Marshall High School. Our hope is to grow MentorU at Marshall by adding another cohort of students in the Fall of 2023. As we prepare for two cohorts to run in tandem, we will be looking for continued community involvement while we recruit additional Mentors and continue to provide Mentees with workforce exploration and career and college readiness.
Interested in learning more about getting involved as a mentor or a partner?
Reach out to Tiyanna Boyd, MentorU Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or
608-661-5437 ext. 1120.