COMMUNITY-BASED MENTORING PROGRAM
After enrolling in our Community-Based Mentoring Program, Bigs and Littles are thoughtfully matched based on geography (within a 20-minute drive), preferences (gender, race, age, etc.), and shared interests. Once the Match is approved by Big, Little, and parent/caregiver, introductions are made and we’re off!
Matches get together 2-4 times a month for a few hours. Bigs schedule outings directly with Littles and their parent/caregiver, and are responsible for picking up and transporting their Little. Activities vary based on the interests of the Bigs and Littles, so whether it’s frisbee at the park, paint night and ice cream, or a picnic hike, each Match can define what “quality time” looks like for them.
THE ROLE OF BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS OF DANE COUNTY
Starting a new relationship can be daunting for both Big and Little, but we’re here every step of the way, providing:
- Regular Match Support Contacts with Big, Little, and parent/caregiver to ensure the Match is healthy, safe, and thriving (monthly calls in the first year, then quarterly)
- BBBS-hosted activities each month for Matches to attend (skiing event, Halloween party, craft night, etc.)
- Tickets to sports, concerts, performing arts, etc. for Match outings
- Discounts or free admission to businesses around town for Match outings
- Resources and training for Bigs to increase cultural competency, trauma-informed mentoring, acknowledging biases, etc.
- Access to support services for families
DID YOU KNOW?
While the majority of our Bigs mentor their Little one-on-one, more than 10% of our Matches are Big Couples and Big Families. In these Matches, volunteer Bigs sign up with their partner, spouse, children, etc., and get matched together with one Little. Mentoring is great, but mentoring with your family? Even better. To learn more about being part of a Big Couple or Big Family, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-661-5437.
- One-to-one mentoring program for Littles ages 6-18
- Bigs and Littles are matched based on geography (within 20-minute drive), Match preferences (gender, race, age, etc.), and shared interests
- Matches meet in-person for outings, choosing activities based on their schedules and interests
- Bigs schedule outings with Little and parent/caregiver and are responsible for picking up and transporting Little
- BBBS conducts regular Match Support contacts with Big/Little/parent to ensure the relationship is healthy, safe, and thriving (monthly contacts during the first year, quarterly after)
TIME & FREQUENCY
- Most Matches meet on weekends or evenings (timing varies based on schedules of Bigs/Littles)
- Matches meet 2-4 times each month for 1-3 hours